Do you love cheese? How about yogurt? Butter? A cold glass of milk with a gooey chocolate chip cookie? If your answer is yes (of course it is), you should be celebrating because today happens to be World Milk Day.
Why? Milk has essential nutrients that energizes kids, boosting concentration and creativity. Two glasses of milk provide half of the daily requirement allowance of calcium, as recommended by the institute of medicine (IOM).
Here are a few more nutritional benefits of milk:
- Calcium for strong teeth and bones
- Protein for growth, lean muscles, healthy hairs and strong nails
- Vitamin A, B2 Riboflavin, Potassium for healthy skin and ease movements
- Vitamin B12 to fuel the body Phosphorus for growth
Where is this milk coming from? None other than local dairy farmers who are part of Heifer’s East Africa Dairy Development project! This program will not only help kids stay healthy and do well in school, but will also contribute to the ongoing sustainability and success of our dairy farmers.
Here's how it works:
- Milk will be collected from farmers in the East Africa Dairy Development project, then processed into 8-ounce packages.
- Packaged milk will then be distributed to school children ages 9 and younger.
- Delivery will occur each day of the 200-day school year to 10,000 children in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania.
You can help us celebrate World Milk Day and provide fresh, nutritious milk to kids in need.